Short Stay Visa
VFS German Visa Application Centre in Colombo and Jaffna handle visa requests from citizens of Sri Lanka and other third country nationals residing in Sri Lanka wishing to travel mainly to Germany, Austria (Schengen visa only), Estonia (Schengen visa only), Hungary (Schengen visa only) and Latvia (Schengen visa only).
Citizens of the Maldives and other third country nationals residing in the Maldives wishing to travel to Germany or Hungary (Schengen visa only), may also apply with the VFS German Visa Application Centre in Colombo or the German Embassy in Colombo.
Citizens of the Maldives and other third country nationals residing in the Maldives wishing to travel to Austria, Estonia or Latvia have to apply with responsible Embassies in New Delhi.
EU nationals do not require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany. Generally speaking, all other foreigners require a visa for stays in Germany. The European Community has abolished the visa requirement for semi-annual visits of up to 90 days for nations of some countries.
The following categories of persons are exempted from the requirement to hold an airport transit visa:
- holders of valid Schengen Visa, national long-stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen country
- holders of certain residence permits issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States which guarantee the holder's unconditional readmission
- holders of a valid visa for Ireland, Liechtenstein and the United Kingdom
- immediate family members of citizens of the EU
- holders of diplomatic passports
- flight crew members who are nationals of a Chicago convention country